24 January 2009

Metal Acoustic Music

The wife just called down to ask, "Is that you making that noise that sounds like a teakettle?"

So last night we're eating dinner and a really loud hum starts coming from the basement. I forgot I had left OM Electrique on my playlist and it just started playing. And my wife said she couldn't hear it. At all. Had no idea what I was talking about. But she can hear Metal Acoustic Music.

It was the first time I had gone back to listen OM Electrique since moving on to Metal Acoustic Music, and was struck by how subtle the first track is. There's not a lot going on in it unless you turn it up or listen on headphones. By contrast, the second disc is far busier.

I'm listening to it now and find that the more I listen, the more I realise that, while the CD may be sequenced as one track, it's really not just one piece. A little after ten minutes the noise dies down for a few seconds before a different noise starts up. That happens again five minutes later. But they all have a similar vibe, so I guess the Merz felt like it was all part of a single long-form composition. And who am I to question the Merz?

No comments:

Post a Comment